" Our pick "... Lonely Planet
" The silence that speaks "
Gecko Creek Lodge is a self catering Cederberg Accommodation camp on a 517 hectare private nature reserve that borders the 80,000 hectare Cederberg Reserve. Offering comfortable twin / double cabins and tents overlooking the valley, a cool Lapa for gathering and cooking as well as a fire warmed open air Boma , salt water swimming pool and stunning setting make this the ideal hub from which to explore the Cederberg. A short distance away is the Olifants River which has the richest variety of endemic fish species of all rivers south of the Zambezi, including the Yellow Fish and Red fin Minnow.
The Cederberg Mountains, home to the San Bushmen for thousands of years, is a heritage to these remarkable and gentle peoples. Their rock art ( dated to between 300 and 20,000 years old ) combined with the natural surreal rock structures imply this could well be the cradle of man, our greatest ancestors!
Land so unspoilt by light that the stars are like 'diamonds on velvet' and one can see a shooting star every 10 minutes. This is the home of the internationally well known Rooibos Tea and Buchu medicinal plant. This Fynbos region has one of the most intense species and subspecies of plants in the world. An intricate floral kingdom astonishing in its delicate beauty. Populated by the Cape Leopard, Baboon, Antelope, Lynx and 165 bird species including the magnificient Black Eagles.
Gecko Creek Cederberg Accommodation is the ideal hub for exploring the Cederberg, only 6km off the N7 and easily accessible. It is also only 28km from Clan William, voted the best town in South Africa.
Comments from guests at our Cederberg Accommodation to date have been 'the best kept secret', 'the jewel of the Cederberg' ,'outstanding setting', 'a paradise' and many many more.
- No children under 16 / no pets
(there is a domestic Timber Wolf at the Lodge)
- Smoking is heavily restricted to Lapa / Boma / Pool
- Lighting of fires or candles restricted to Lapa and Boma only
- No audible music devices (radios / tapes etc)
- Not suitable for 4 x 4 (no trails)
- Please bring a torch and spare batteries!
- Telkom payphone on premises (cards for sale)
- The rivers in this area do not have bilharzia, and certainly no crocodiles!
- Malaria is non-existsent and even the Mosquitos are few!
- Our tap drinking water is spring quality!
- We advise you to ensure your petrol tank is full prior to arrival
as there are no petrol stations in the Cederberg wilderness.
- Electricity points are available only for recharging devices such as cellphones and laptops.
- We receive all cellphone network signals in most of the camp area.
- We can cater for meals by prior arrangement.
Gecko Creek General notes